Monday, March 21, 2011

maybe you're the one who's wrong

Bob sad ...

Maybe you're the one who's wrong about what the Bible teaches. Also, you would think that a book that was supposedly inspired by God Himself would be impossible to misunderstand.

Bob, I don't take offense when someone offers insight into the Bible. I welcome a discussion about what the Bible teaches. And I am open to recognizing the mistakes I have made, and correcting those mistakes.

You tell me what I would think. You suggest that I would expect that the Bible, authored by God, would be impossible to misunderstand.

Essentially, you are asserting that either God is not perfect, or the Bible is not perfect, since you can envision a "more perfect" Bible (i.e. one that "would be impossible to misunderstand".)

Please allow me to share an idea with you. I believe that a failure to understand the Bible is not a fault of the Bible itself, but is the fault of fallible man.

Please note that I'm not making a claim that understanding the entirety of Bible is easy, that it doesn't require some work, or that there are not some difficulties. (It's not, it does, and there are.)

The claim I make is that the Bible is complete and sufficient for the task to which God set it. If it is found to be incomplete or insufficient to a task, perhaps that is because it has been set to a task to which it is not suited.

No comments:

Post a Comment