Thursday, March 24, 2011

mutually exclusive?

JimDiver said...

It doesn't take faith to be an atheist. It takes understanding. You have no understanding. As an ex-christian I had faith; now I have understanding. The two are mutually exclusive.

@JimDiver

Actually, Jim, I think that's a false dichotomy between faith and understanding.

But, honestly, I haven't considered that assertion before.

I believe (up until I considered it now anyway) that I had both faith and understanding. Seems to me this is two different things, that they are not on the same scale.

You say they are "mutually exclusive", as if it's a binary on/off thing. I don't get that at all. I believe people have different levels of understanding, of all manner of different ideas. And I believe people have different levels of faith, in different things, like faith that a chair will hold my weight when I sit in it, or faith that 12 inches of ice over a lake will support my weight.

But, I'm going to consider the idea you propose.

If I know that I have faith, then I must be wrong about my belief that I have understanding. And if I have any understanding, then I must be wrong about my belief that I have any faith.

Something for me to think about.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment