Wednesday, December 8, 2010

trumps your concern

Chris B said...

So if I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that your allegiance to God and His commands trumps your concern for the well-being of others? Is that fair to say?

@Chris B

Those were not the words I used, Chris. The words you choose to represent what I said, and the way in which you frame the question, really connotes a different meaning. So, it would not really be fair to claim that is what I said.


It is because I seek after God that I choose to act in a way that I believe to be right. I believe that I have been provided with an absolute moral standard, and that standard does seek the best interests for me, for others, and for society as a whole.

I strongly believe that it is right to allow human babies to live, and (in Iago's words) "let them grow up". I believe it is wrong to kill an unborn baby.

Further, I do not presume to have the moral authority to take away from any individual their choice of eternal destiny.

I would not presume to make that decision for you, for Iago, or anyone else, even as an infant. I do not believe it in anyone's best interest that I usurp the free will of another.

I believe (and perhaps this is the idea that you don't agree with) that each individual should have the right to choose for oneself what is in his best interest.

And I do not believe I have the authority or the obligation to take action that would prevent a human, made in God's image, to make their own choice.

I hope that helps answer your question.

No comments:

Post a Comment